Devotion: In Times of Trouble
This month’s most popular devotion was, “In Times of Trouble” I hope you enjoy it.
Have you ever been in a frightening situation and afterwards thought about all the things you should have done? Recently I stopped for a quick meal with a friend before church at a local fast food chain. While we were eating an extremely angry man began shouting at someone. At first we thought it was a disgruntled customer but quickly realized it was a drug deal gone bad.
My first instinct was to get up and run. My friend however said, “no … we can’t move. If he has a gun it might cause him to start shooting.” As I looked around I realized the wisdom in her words. Everyone stood frozen in their spot. I watched a young mother draw her children close and wrap her arms around them.
Even the object of his anger never spoke a word in response. The only voice to be heard was the threatening rant of this stranger who could very well have been the last voice we heard.
He finally left and we all breathed a sigh of relief. In that moment I whispered, “Thank you, Lord for protecting us.” And then the second guessing began … we should have crawled under the table … we should have ran out the emergency exit or into the bathroom, etc. And then it hit me. The one thing I should have done, but didn’t was pray.
I feel very blessed that we walked away from what could have been tragic. I also feel sorrow for the many lives that have been lost in the crossfire of needless violence.
Afterwards the Lord reminded me of David’s prayer, “though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me.” How comforting to know we are never alone in times of trouble.
Free Audio Conference: Revival: Rekindle your passion for God
Join us for a FREE 30 minute audio conference on Friday, July 7, 2017 @ 7:00 p.m. (EST) based on my recently published book.
Only God can birth a Great Awakening, but personal revival is available for every believer who hungers for intimacy with God. This audio conference will give you the tools you need to:
- Rekindle your passion for God.
- Inspire other believers to renew their first love for God and shun a lukewarm lifestyle.
- Whet the appetite of the lost with the Fruit of the Spirit.
Invite a friend and join us for this life changing message that will have an eternal impact in your life and the lives of those around you.
May Ministry Report:
SMALL GROUPS: During the month of May we studied the “Purple Book” with the ladies of The DEMP Project.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS: n/a
JUST A MINUTE VIDEO SERIES: The Lord has been prompting me to do a video blog for a few years now. I resisted out of fear, but finally obeyed and started the blog. I post the videos on Tuesday’s at 2:00 pm. on Facebook. During the month of May I recorded the following episodes:
- An introductory video
- Eternal Treasures
- Hot or Not: The Trouble With Being Lukewarm
- HOME: Your Mission Field
COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS:
- Nursing Home Ministry: On May 6th, TheCity.church Care Team had our first Nursing Home Ministry Outreach. We specifically asked to be directed to patients who seldom have visitors. It was heartbreaking to witness the loneliness these sweet people suffer, but rewarding to know we brightened their day for a brief time.
- The DEMP Project: I attended the staff Meeting and Banquet Planning Meeting on May 6th @ 1:30 p.m. We are seeking volunteers to join us in serving at a banquet for victims of human trafficking and other sex for sale businesses. The event is scheduled for September 30, 2017. If you are interested in participating please email me for details at: email@example.com
- Community Meet & Greet: On May 19th, I attended a Meet & Greet at California Pizza with staff from The DEMP Project, Her Song Jax and Flourish Now. This was such a success we have decided to continue meeting and extend invitations to other women in ministry at future events.
- Sack of Love Ministry: On May 20th, I joined the Sack of Love Ministry in feeding the homeless of Jacksonville. This month we served 197 meals, Praise God!
- Duval County Jail Ministry: May 27th @ 1:30 p.m. (Cancelled)
- Joy To The Nations: On May 27th, I had the honor of hosting a meet and greet for my missionary friends, Jen Cook and Joy Dodd on their recent furlough to the US. Jen and Joy have been serving in Honduras for several years now. They recently moved to the island of Roatan and it was great catching up and hearing their vision for the future.
Please pray for God’s anointing as I seek to serve Him in my community.
SMALL GROUPS: During the month of June I will be leading two small groups through Revival: The 21 Day Challenge. The DEMP project will host a Tuesday evening group at 7:00 PM at The Salem Center at 7235 Bonneval Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32256. The second group is through TheCity.church. If you are interested in attending either of these groups please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS: On June 10th I will be sharing my testimony at the Oneness Women Ministry summit, “Facing the Giant of Domestic Violence.” This is a public event at 6:00 p.m. at 1181 Lakeshore Blvd., Jacksonville, FL.
JUST A MINUTE VIDEO SERIES: I am hoping to create a YouTube channel and/or share the videos on my website. Until then the videos will continue to be posted on my Facebook Page: Deb Wilson Ministries every Tuesday at 2:00 p.m.
COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS:
- Nursing Home Ministry: 6/2/17 @ 10:00 a.m. (Cancelled)
- The DEMP Project: Staff Meeting and Banquet Planning Meeting 6/2/17 @ 1:30 p.m.
- Sack of Love Ministry: The Sack of Love Ministry serves food to the homeless of Jacksonville on the third Saturday of each month. This month we meet on June 17th at 11:00 a.m.
- Duval County Jail Ministry: On the fourth Saturday of the month my friend Eva and I have the privilege of sharing the Word of God with the female inmates of the Duval County Jail. This month we are scheduled for 6/24/17 @ 1:30 p.m. Unfortunately this may be cancelled again due to a weekend staffing shortage with the chaplain’s office. Please pray for the jail to hire an additional chaplain. (Currently teams are only allowed in every other week and Eva and I are off rotation until a Holiday or a 5th Saturday creates a change in the rotation.)
Until next month, may the Lord bless you and keep you,